About Geoscience Australia
Geoscience Australia is Australia’s pre-eminent public sector geoscience organisation and the nation’s trusted advisor on the geology and geography of Australia. Geoscience Australia applies science and technology to describe and understand the Earth for the benefit of Australia. Geoscience Australia is a Commonwealth government organisation part of the Industry, Innovation and Science portfolio.
We deliver a wide range of products that address the important and significant national issues to assist government and the community to make informed decisions about the use of natural resources, the management of the environment, and community safety. Working towards the Government Agenda, through six key strategic priority areas, Geoscience Australia provides applied research and information for the Australian community to obtain sustainable, social and environmental benefits:
- Building Australia’s Resource Wealth – to maximise the benefits from Australia’s minerals and energy resources, now and into the future
- Ensuring Australia’s Community Safety – so that Australian communities are more resilient to natural hazards
- Securing Australia’s Water Resources – to optimise and sustain the use of Australia’s water resources
- Managing Australia’s Marine Jurisdictions – to maximise benefits from the sustainable use of Australia’s marine jurisdiction
- Providing Fundamental Geographic Information – to understand the location and timing of processes, activities and changes across Australia to inform decision-making for both natural and built environments
- Maintaining Geoscience Knowledge and Capability – to maintain an enduring and accessible knowledge base and capability to enable evidence-based policy and decision-making by government, industry and the community We apply our geoscience knowledge and capability to acquire, store and manage Australia’s national fundamental geological and geographic information.