The Murray─Darling Basin Authority (MDBA) is an independent expertise-based agency responsible for the implementation and ongoing review of the Murray─Darling Basin Plan, and the management of the River Murray system. We work with a range of partners – state governments, Australian government agencies, local land and water managers and community interest groups – with the aim to achieve a healthy and productive working basin.
This work is important to the wellbeing and future of the businesses, people, plants and animals that rely on the Basin’s water resources.
We are appointed under the Water Act 2007 and our parent agency is the Australian Government’s The MDBA’s work includes:
• The ongoing implementation and review of the Basin Plan, including overseeing compliance with the plan and reporting on its progress
• Operating the River Murray system on behalf of partner governments to deliver water to users
• Measure and monitor the quality and quantity of the Basin’s water resources
• Support, encourage and conduct research into the basin’s water resources and ecosystems
• Engage and educate the Australian community (particularly in the Basin) about the Basin’s issues, challenges and actions required to achieve these tasks.