The Australian Water Quality Centre (AWQC) is a business unit of the South Australian Water Corporation (SA Water), a South Australian Government enterprise. Established over 80 years ago, AWQC has extensive experience in supporting the national and international water industry through analytical testing, leading edge research, training, consultancies and advice to manage water supply and wastewater systems. Services are tailored to cover all aspects of the water cycle from catchment, source, treatment, distribution, wastewater, reuse and alternative sources such as desalination.
• Training of water sector employees and trainers for water cycle management (catchment to tap, sewer to
• Water quality risk assessments: To undertake/review/advice on risk assessments of water systems (including
catchments and recycled water supplies) against relevant standards
• Water sampling advice: To guide a water utility in designing and implementing monitoring programs that
deliver temporally and spatially relevant data of appropriate quality
• Water testing: Advice on test selection, testing according to relevant standards and interpretation of results in
the context of water utility planning and operations
• Product testing: To assist overseas suppliers gain access to the Australian market or develop a system to
ensure products entering their country are safe/fit for purpose.
• Test method development: To develop new tests especially those appropriate to local water quality challenges
and testing capability (people/equipment)
• Quality systems for water laboratories: To enable new or existing water quality labs to operate at a high
standard of quality and customer service.
• Research / Investigations: To assist water sector participants to scope research/investigations relating to all
aspects of the water cycle from catchment to tap and sewer to supply, and undertake this research alone or in
partnership with other research/technical institutions
• Peer review / technical review : To provide reputable scientific/professional advice on the quality and content of
scientific and technical papers and reports
• Advice / Trouble shooting: Access to experienced utility and research personnel to assist water sector
participants (especially utilities) address planning and operational challenges