The Australian Government has agreed to co-host with UAE University a joint Conference on Water Resource Management and Sustainability for Arid Environments at the World Exposition in Dubai. The Government is seeking expressions of interest from companies and institutions with proven international collaboration experience to contribute expertise to the conference, showcase cutting-edge innovations and co-lead the development of the conference agenda.
The Australian Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with UAE University (UAEU) for collaboration at the World Expo, which will now run from 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022. One purpose of the agreement is to facilitate access to partnership and promotion opportunities for Australian businesses, education providers and research institutions. UAE University is the largest and top-ranked research university in the UAE and the only university to have an independent presence at the World Expo.
Under the MoU, UAEU has proposed that Australia and UAEU co-host a conference on water resource management and sustainability for arid environments during the World Expo Water Focus Week (March 2022 – exact dates TBC). The Australian Government has agreed for the conference to be hosted at the Australian Pavilion.
Conference sub-topics proposed by UAE University are:
- Groundwater simulation and solute transport
- Groundwater recharge and ASR systems
- Innovative techniques for restoration and remediation of aquifers
- Surface water harvesting
- Mitigation of flood hazards in arid regions
- Drainage systems in arid regions
- Water treatment technologies
- Water recycling and reuse of gray and treated wastewater
- Improvements in desalination technology
- Irrigation technology and water conservation in agriculture
- Water-food-energy nexus
- Renewable energy and water resources development
- Applications of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) in water resources planning and management
- Integrated management of water resources
- Cloud seeding
- Climate change and water resources in arid regions
- Water policies and regulations
- Risk management
These topics are considered indicative only; within the bounds of the conference title, content is open for discussion and amendment.
The conference will provide opportunities for engagement with the following authorities and organisations invited by UAEU to support the event:
- Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Initiatives
- Environmental Agency of Abu Dhabi (EAD)
- UAE Ministry of Energy and Industry
- UAE Ministry of Climate Change and Environment
- Abu Dhabi Electricity and Water Authority
- Dubai Electricity and Water Authority
- Abu Dhabi Municipality
- UAE Ministry of Presidential Affairs
- Sandooq Al Watan
- Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Science
- The Islamic Development Bank
AWP Australian Partners have been invited to submit an Expression of Interest to participate (submissions will be received until 30 August 2020). View the event background here or visit the event website.